It is advisable to keep a photocopy of the main page of your passport, and current visa and latest entry stamp either in your phone or online storage device. One other useful tip is to keep a copy of these documents emailed to yourself so you can access it from anywhere.

🈴 🈴
Official Accounts:

1. File a police report at the local police station nearest to where the event took place.

The report is only in and is called 报案证明 “Receipt of a Report.” When filing the report, provide them with your passport and visa copies and they will give you a small form with a red stamp on it. Please note that it is important for you to go to the police station as soon as you lost your passport so that if someone tries to misuse it, you will have proof that it’s not you.

2. Bring the report to your local Public Security Bureau Entry and Exit division (出入境管理局) to obtain a bilingual confirmation of the lost passport (Confirmation of reporting of the loss of passport 护照报失证明).

3. Use the report to inform your embassy that your passport has been lost.

– Some countries will issue replacement passports immediately or the same day and in this case, you would need to apply for a temporary visa from the Public Security Bureau Entry and Exit division (出入境管理局), usually, a humanitarian visa while you update the supporting documents (such as a work permit for a work-related stay) and then following the residence permit.

– Other countries will issue a temporary or emergency passport to be used while you wait for your replacement passport. In this case, you will need to obtain a temporary visa in that passport from the Public Security Bureau Entry and Exit division (出入境管理局), usually a humanitarian visa, and then once your replacement passport arrives you would need to update the supporting documents (such as a work permit for a work-related stay) and then following the residence permit, with the replacement passport details. Depending on the processing time of your replacement passport compared to your temporary visa expiration date, you may need a temporary visa in the new passport, which would add another step in the process. While on a temporary visa, some people received a special document from the Public Security Bureau Entry and Exit division (出入境管理局) to allow international travel with that visa, providing they had a valid reason and proof of upcoming travel, while others were unable to obtain this permission.

– Some countries do not issue temporary or emergency passports and do not issue replacement passports immediately and if this is the case, then your country will issue an “Emergency Certificate” and work with the authorities to ensure you are legal to be in until your replacement passport arrives. If you have lost your passport while travelling in China:

– If your country issues a replacement passport immediately or issues a temporary or emergency passport, then you should follow the same procedures as already mentioned, except for the fact that you will be issued an exit visa in that passport.

– If your country does not issue emergency passports, then you won’t be able to stay in or continue your journey to other countries. You would not be able to apply for a replacement passport in China because you do not hold a residence permit or other long term status here. You would only be able to return to your country on the basis of “Emergency Certificate”.

– For the issuance of an “Emergency Certificate”, you need to contact your country’s embassy and they would use this document to coordinate with the authorities for your exit from China, similarly to the above situation only that they would coordinate with the authorities to permit your exit from China.

4. When picking up either your temporary or replacement passport, it is important to retain the proof of when you picked it up as this may be required later to prove that you were within the given time limit.

5. Regardless of what visa you hold you would need to get a new temporary certificate from your local police station or your hotel, after any changes to your passport or visa.

You may need supporting documents such as the police report because there is no visa in that passport. If you hold a residence permit and lost your passport outside of China, there are specific procedures depending on if you lost your passport in your home country or if you lost your passport outside of your home country. There is likely to be some sort of temporary visa the embassy or consulate can issue you so that you can return to because residence permits are only issued in China. As non-residence permits are issued outside of China, then the embassy should have procedures for handling this.
🈴 🈴

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>