Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

December 7

Disclaimer: This is an edited script of an article already posted by Kudosbay酷豆湾

1) Babies born to two foreign parents

If a baby is born in China to two foreign parents, the baby will not be considered a national as China does not recognize citizenship by birth. The baby must take one parent’s nationality. Below are the steps to be followed to do so:

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

1. Obtain your baby’s birth certificate from the hospital where he or she was born.

2.  Register your baby at the local police station to get a temporary registration form based on the birth certificate within 24 hours from the issuance of the birth certificate.

3. Register your baby at your (or your partner’s) embassy or consulate and apply for a passport for the baby. Most embassies will give you two choices: either add the baby to your passport or have the baby obtain their own passport. 

4. Once the baby is added to your passport or has his or her passport he or she will need a new temporary certificate from the local police station.

5. As the baby is a foreign national then he or she will also be required to have a visa or residence permit to live in and enter/exit China. This needs to be applied within 30 days of the baby’s birth or you risk facing a fine.

The 30-day deadline is a good general rule because it applies throughout the country, although some places such as extends this to 60 days.

To obtain the baby’s visa or residence permit, there are two possible scenarios:

a) If the baby is already registered on your passport or the baby has his/her passport, take the baby’s birth certificate, the baby’s passport (if applicable), your passport, and both of your Certificates for Temporary Residence from the local police station to the local Exit-Entry Administration Office of the Public Security Bureau to apply for the visa or residence permit.

b) If the procedure is still underway at the embassy (some applications take over a month or so to process) then ask your embassy if they can provide you proof that registration is ongoing. Take the proof with the other documents mentioned in part (a) to apply for the visa or residence permit. Again, it is very important not to miss the 30-day deadline to apply.

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

If the procedure takes a bit longer than the thirty days, you might be issued a temporary residence permit (valid for around 1~2 months) on a piece of paper but you will have to apply for the actual residence permit as soon as the baby’s passport is issued.

6. Once your baby has a passport (or is registered on yours) along with a visa or residence permit then the baby will be able to live in China, legally, and you will be able to take him or her outside China.

7. Do not forget you will need to register your baby again at the local police station for a new certificate whenever there are changes in the process or his or her status (e.g. he or she obtains a residence permit or it is renewed, etc).

2) Babies born to one and one foreign parent

Based on Article 4 of China’s Nationality Law, if one parent is and the child is born in China, then the child automatically assumes Chinese nationality and would take the Chinese parent’s Hukou (household registration). The baby cannot be considered both Chinese and a foreigner (from China’s nationality point of view) as China does not recognize dual nationality whether for adults or children.

The baby cannot become if born outside of China.

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

The parents have a one time right to decide the nationality of the child.

If nationality is desired, then you should apply for these documents in the following order:

a) Hukou update using the baby’s birth certificate and ID card of the parent

b)  passport for international travel using the updated Hukou, ID card of the Chinese parent and a 2-inch passport photo (if desired).

A passport is not required if you plan to give your child a foreign nationality.

If a foreign nationality is desired, larger cities will be easier to handle such requests because of having dealt with many more cases. Smaller places may give more problems because of having a lack of experience by local authorities; however, the documents need to be processed where the parent’s Hukou is located.

Before we discuss the steps for obtaining a foreign nationality for your child, if this is desired, it is important to mention that you should offer the hospital both a non-Chinese name in alphabetic characters and a name in Chinese characters for your child for the birth certificate and these names do not have to relate to each other.

It is suggested that you give your child both a Chinese and a foreign name on the birth certificate, even if you choose for them to have Chinese nationality, in case of regulations change in the future, or they choose to change their nationality in the future.

This option of both names is only offered to situations where one parent is Chinese and the other parent is foreign. If both are Chinese, then only a Chinese name is allowed, and if both are foreign, then only a foreign name is allowed. The reasons for providing both names are as follows:

a) A Chinese name in Chinese characters is required for the child to be added to the Hukou

b) A non-Chinese name in alphabetic characters will be required for your child to obtain a foreign passport

In both situations, proving two names for your child when both are not on the birth certificate makes the situation more complicated.

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

If just a foreign name is provided on the birth certificate, then there will be additional work because a non-Chinese name cannot be added to a Chinese Hukou.

If just a Chinese name is provided, there will be additional work for obtaining a foreign passport for your child since the birth certificate is required.

If the foreign nationality is to be selected for the child, then you need to follow these steps:

1. Apply to renounce the Chinese nationality

2. Obtain a Chinese exit-entry permit (出入境通行证), if applicable

3. Apply for the baby to have a foreign passport or have the baby listed on the foreign parent’s passport, if not done already

4. Apply for the baby’s Chinese visa to be able to travel in and out of China

Keep in mind that if the child loses the Chinese nationality then the following circumstances need to be taken into account:

a) They would not be able to attend local public schools as a foreigner

b) They lose the right of abode in China and hence would be required to have the appropriate visas to stay in China

c) A work visa is suggested for children to attend an international school. Rates are significantly more expensive if a foreign parent does not hold a work visa

Now that being said, here is the documented procedure to apply for renunciation of Chinese nationality for the baby:

1. Fill in the “Application to Renounce PRC Citizenship” form (退出中华人民共和国国籍申请表)

2. Submit a written statement that you are voluntarily renouncing the PRC citizenship for the baby (both parents need to sign off on behalf of the baby)

3. Provide the following documents to support the application at the Public Security Bureau Entry and Exit Division of the Chinese parent’s Hukou location.

a) Original and a copy of the Hukou

b) Original and a copy of the ID card (if issued)

c) Original and copy of the PRC passport (if issued)

There is no pre-determined period for the application to be completed though it has been reported in some cities, like Shanghai, to take about 6 months.

Once the Chinese nationality renunciation is completed then you can apply for the foreign passport for the baby and subsequent visa/residence permit or have the baby registered on the foreign parent’s passport. The steps for this process is mentioned in the previous section.

If the process of renouncing Chinese citizenship is on-going and you need to travel with the child meanwhile, you may request an exit-entry permit from the Public Security Bureau of the Hukou location. 

Usually, this permit will be valid for three months and valid for one exit and one re-admission to China. The processing time usually takes between seven and ten days but varies by location. Alternatively, you can wait until the renunciation process is over and then take the child overseas.

Here are the documents required to obtain the exit-entry permit. This should be considered a general checklist as the exact documents may vary by location.

1. Copy and original baby’s birth certificate;

2. Copy and original of baby’s foreign passport;

3. Passport of the foreign parent, ID card and Hukou of the Chinese parent;

4. Parents’ marriage certificate;

5. “Visa application form” completed with three two-inch photos of the baby;

6. If the foreign passport has been issued then you will also need to provide the temporary certificate from the local police.

Another possibility preferred by parents who are not planning to leave China soon and will be settling in for a while is to keep the Chinese nationality for the baby.

No matter the decision of the parents, after the child is an adult (at 18 years of age) they can decide to change it once if they wish. The child does not have to decide at 18 – they could leave it the same for many years before changing it if desired.

Visit us:

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China


Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

Branded & Non-branded goods, 

delivered to 152 countries


Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

All kinds of Branded Shoes are available at factory prices. Quality is assured.


Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

1000s of Foreign TV Channels

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China
Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

“How I Fucked Up My Dating Life Teaching Abroad”

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

Applying for a “Chinese Green Card” with a Chinese Spouse

Getting Married In China: NOT EASY

Verifying Your Overseas Degree In China

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

Nationality Of Your Child Born In China

Support us! Tap that Wow button ⬇


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>